Key West has a longstanding tradition of offering local residents and island visitors the best in dining, Duffy's Steak & Lobster House proudly continues that heritage.
The building complex that houses today's Duffy's traces its beginning back to 1892 when the original Simonton Street - Truman Avenue corner structure was used as a tinwares and stove store, owned by M.R. Costar.
In 1899, it became the private home for local cigar-maker Ignacio Castillan, but it was returned to a business site - a grocery store - from 1912 to 1926, operated by Anselmo Rendules. In 1937, the complex became known as the gull Stream hotel, offering lodging, a trailer park and food.
It ws in 1948, when the original Duffy's tavern opened its doors. It was a popular Key West dining location, featuring the finest in steaks and seafood. the 1940's offered an exciting time as Key West gained national attention by the frequent visit of then - President Harry Truman, who would ride by Duffy's on his way to the Little White House.
By 1952, the Gulf Strem name reappeared, while 1958 saw the building become known as The Flame Restaurant. That was followed by a period of Oriental dining, under the name China Gate. The current owner of Duffy's bought the building in 1987, established kokomo's Restaurant in 1988, and then remodeled it all and opened Duffy's in the summer of 1991. As much of the historic charm of the original Duffy's as possible is in the building, including the glass blocks used for decorative purposes.
Today, Duffy's is proud of its historic roots in Key West. We may have changed our name - and look - over the years, by Duffy's Steak & Lobster House today maintains a proud tradition of offering the best in casual dining at affordable prices.